You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are you sure you want to quit all applications and log out? Pops up randomly

My 2019 MacBook Air has developed a habit of either shutting down or restarting all on its own. However, if I have a Word or Excel file open and unsaved, it will stall at the dialog box asking me if I want to save before quitting. It usually happens when I am away from the screen for periods of minutes to hours. If I'm gone long enough, there will also be a dialog box informing me that my Mac failed to restart because of open applications. So, why is it trying to restart on its own? I don't have automatic update/install configured. I usually run Safari, Mail, Office 365, 1Password. Looking at a previous poster on the topic, a few people replied with standard info about how to shut down, etc. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to shut down; the laptop is doing it unbidden, and there is no app openly trying to subvert me.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 9:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 10:24 AM

Thanks John Galt! It solved my problem. I might add to your comment that it also explains how to turn off that setting! I am not sure how it got set that way in the first place, but it sure was a mystery.

Similar questions

2 replies

Are you sure you want to quit all applications and log out? Pops up randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.