You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID change?

I am trying to update apps. I get the following message "Pages cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

I just got a new MacBook Pro and data transfer was done from my previous MacBook pro at the store where I purchased it.

What can I do?

Alice's MacBook Pro 13"

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 10:33 AM

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Purchase History Review

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2020 10:33 AM in response to alicefrompa

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Purchase History Review

Aug 15, 2020 10:17 AM in response to alicefrompa

This is your your problem. See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner (use the discussion in it this is your situation), but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem. The discussion below relates to the second possibility. 

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with a second Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and purchase/download it again with the second Apple ID unless you set up family sharing (see below).

You can set up family sharing between the IDs to share purchases made with them. See:

Family Sharing  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060

Set up Family Sharing https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

Apple ID change?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.