You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing

My husband recently passed away and is the organizer of our family sharing. How can I make myself the organizer? Can apple help me?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 7:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 8:47 AM

Dear nicole,

I am sorry for your loss.

Apple might be able to help you, and yes, I would recommend that you contact them. (This here, as you might already know, is a peer-peer, user-user community helping each other with tips and solutions.) Please also note that digital laws differ from state to state and Apple may/may not be able to do as you wish because they have to operate within the legal framework.

Having said that, one of the ways ahead for your specific issue is: each family member leaves the group, and you start a new family group with yourself as the new family organizer of that group.

To know more about this please read: Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

To move a child between groups read: Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Take Care and let us know how we can help further.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2020 8:47 AM in response to nicõle

Dear nicole,

I am sorry for your loss.

Apple might be able to help you, and yes, I would recommend that you contact them. (This here, as you might already know, is a peer-peer, user-user community helping each other with tips and solutions.) Please also note that digital laws differ from state to state and Apple may/may not be able to do as you wish because they have to operate within the legal framework.

Having said that, one of the ways ahead for your specific issue is: each family member leaves the group, and you start a new family group with yourself as the new family organizer of that group.

To know more about this please read: Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

To move a child between groups read: Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Take Care and let us know how we can help further.

Aug 20, 2020 10:35 AM in response to nicõle

You need to disband the existing family using the steps in the article below. The new organizer can then set up the new family and invite the family members to join the new family. If there are children under 13 years old, the new organizer needs to leave the existing family, set up the new family, and then the under 13 years old children can be transferred to the new family. Then disband the old family and join the new family.

Family Sharing -  Transfer a child to a different family group - Apple Support     

Family Sharing - Leave.          

Family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.