You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently I bought an imac mini 2020, wich has 4 thunderbolt ports, 2 USB , and one HDMI. I want to use my old iMac late 2009 which has one mini displayport, as a external monitor,(Target Display Mode). Could you please tell me which cable I need to c

Hi, Recently I bought an iMac mini 2020, wich has 4 thunderbolt ports, 2 USB , and one HDMI. I want to use my old iMac late 2009 which has one mini displayport, as a external monitor,(Target Display Mode).

Could you please tell me which cable I need to connect boths computers.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 1:26 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 20, 2020 2:59 PM in response to Vinilo64

I assume you have the 2018 Mac mini. It's the latest model. (The 2020 iMac has two Thunderbolt ports and no HDMI.)

If the 2009 iMac is 27" it should work. You will need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable. A Thunderbolt adapter won't work.

https://www.startech.com/AV/display-and-video-adapters/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-mini-displayport-cable~CDP2MDPMM1MB

Recently I bought an imac mini 2020, wich has 4 thunderbolt ports, 2 USB , and one HDMI. I want to use my old iMac late 2009 which has one mini displayport, as a external monitor,(Target Display Mode). Could you please tell me which cable I need to c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.