You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an old iMac to my new one (as extra monitor)

Hi gang.

I have a brand spanking new iMac 2019 that I want to connect to a very old 2009 iMac, to use as an extra monitor.

The old mac has a MiniDisplay port and my new one Thunderbolt 3 ports. So I bought an adapter, thinking it was the right kind, but it's not. I ended up getting a MiniDisplay port to HDMI cable when I was looking for a MiniDisplay port to Thunderbolt 3 cable (which I can't seem to find anywhere).

So my big question: Can I still use this cable and perhaps get a hub or something so that I can join my two machines? If not, can someone please tell me the exact cable I would need?

Thanks!

B

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 6:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 7:39 PM

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

If you have a 27-inch Late 2009 iMac it will work if you use a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable, such as:https://www.startech.com/AV/display-and-video-adapters/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-mini-displayport-cable~CDP2MDPMM6B

10 replies

Mar 24, 2020 5:24 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Hi Malcolm - me again.

So I've been looking to see if I can find something less expensive. Also, since I already purchased a minidisplay to HDMI cord, I am wondering if I could use it with THIS instead so that both can work together to hook up my imacs:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01M6C49X2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AONZ4ZXCX5VHY&psc=1

Connecting an old iMac to my new one (as extra monitor)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.