You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB flash drive to ipad

I am trying to copy one hour video on the usb flash drive on to this iPad mini. I purchased lightning to usb 3 adapter. It says i can’t do it because it takes too much power. What doihave to do?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:49 PM

OK. As long as you're up to date with iPadOS, you should be able to make this work, but what you're likely going to need is a powered USB Hub. I just don't know which one you need. Most are USB C, whereas iPad Mini is Lightning. I'm not up to date enough to tell you exactly what to buy. I own a powered USB C hub for my iPad Pro 11, which us USB C. Most powered hubs are USB C. And your iPad uses Lightning connectors.

Perhaps an easier solution for you would be to download this video to your home computer, then sync it to your iPad using iTunes Sync? See this link if that's an option you can use --> Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2020 7:49 PM in response to Tanuki12

OK. As long as you're up to date with iPadOS, you should be able to make this work, but what you're likely going to need is a powered USB Hub. I just don't know which one you need. Most are USB C, whereas iPad Mini is Lightning. I'm not up to date enough to tell you exactly what to buy. I own a powered USB C hub for my iPad Pro 11, which us USB C. Most powered hubs are USB C. And your iPad uses Lightning connectors.

Perhaps an easier solution for you would be to download this video to your home computer, then sync it to your iPad using iTunes Sync? See this link if that's an option you can use --> Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

USB flash drive to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.