You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail deletes my email signature when I fill in recipient address in the "to" field

I am using MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra v 10.13.6. I use Mail.

Starting a couple of months ago, I have been having an issue with my email signature. When I open up a new, blank message, everything is fine and my signature shows in the body of the email. I then go to the "To" field and start typing the recipient address for the email. I (usually) get a dropdown list,and then select the address. Sometimes, when I select an recipient's address, my email signature automatically deletes from the body of the email. But, it doesn't happen all the time.

This happens for some recipient email addresses but not for others. I think, but am not 100% sure, that the action is consistent for a given recipient's email address, i.e., everytime I select janedoe@gmail.com it always deletes my signature section, but everytime I select johndow@gmail.com it never deletes my signature section. It doesn't happen if I type in the full recipient email address.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 10:51 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 3, 2020 5:38 AM in response to BDAqua

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Nothing changes in my account or my settings. The only thing that I note (and I'm not sure if this is new or has always been the case) is that the initial blank email (which still has my signature showing) has a field located to the right of the "From" field which is called "Signature"; this "Signature" field shows None with up/down arrows; the only other option is "edit". The field shows None both before and after the signature disappears.

Otherwise, as far as I can tell, the only thing that happens is that when I start typing in the recipient's address in the "To" field and then:

(1) select address from the dropdown, OR

(2) click return so that the address is automatically selected,

the signature disappears from the blank email.

However, if I type in a full address (either because it is a new recipient OR if I don't rely on historical addresses remembered by the system), the signature does not delete.

As an aside, I have a second email account which has no signature associated with emails. To send an email from it, I select the second account in the "From" field using the dropdown. However, as there is no signature on these email blanks, I can't tell if something is happening when I use this email account. Similar to the screenshot above, I can see that the "Signature" field on these blanks also shows None with the up/down arrows and only has one option, which is edit.

Hope this answers your question.

Mail deletes my email signature when I fill in recipient address in the "to" field

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.