You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod airplay problems on iMac + Airpods

I've got a homepod (v13.4.8) when I play something from my iMac via Airplay the homepod plays normally. If I then connect my airpods to my iMac the sound automatically transfers from homepod to the airpods, but then when I put the airpods away and want the sound again to play on the homepod, it doesn't work. I need to restart the homepod to get it working again. I can see the homepod in the home app on my iMac, and I can use the play/pause controls, just the sound is coming from the iMac.

Restaring is not a solution as the problem repeats each time I reconnect the airpods.

In the home airplay settings I've set that anyone on the same network can play, but that didn't help. The connection between the iMac and homepod is fine, as the home app works and I can control the homepod, just the airplay is causing problems.

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 7:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 2:18 AM

So I manage to fix my problem by removing the airpods on my mac via the bluetooth system preferences app. Then I reconnected airpods on my phone (they were no longer paired with my phone for some reason). Once reconnected, I could airplay to airpods from my mac, however at the same time, I no longer have the airplay problem on the homepod, everything seems to be working fine now. I've tested if over a course of a few days.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2020 2:18 AM in response to chris_g1

So I manage to fix my problem by removing the airpods on my mac via the bluetooth system preferences app. Then I reconnected airpods on my phone (they were no longer paired with my phone for some reason). Once reconnected, I could airplay to airpods from my mac, however at the same time, I no longer have the airplay problem on the homepod, everything seems to be working fine now. I've tested if over a course of a few days.

Sep 5, 2020 9:23 AM in response to SvenA999

Hi SvenA999,

Thanks for your post! We understand after disconnecting from your AirPods, your HomePod will not play the audio from your iMac. What exactly happens when you try to select the HomePod to play the audio from your iMac after you disconnect your AirPods? If you haven't yet, try performing an SMC reset.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

If the issue persists, try to reset the HomePod.

Reset HomePod

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

Sep 5, 2020 11:48 AM in response to brenden dv

Hey brenden dv,

I did the SMC reset, but the same thing is happening.

To replicate the problems:

1. I have sound playing on my iMac, then under the speaker icon in the top toolbar I select the homepod
  2. The sound switches to the homepod and plays ok
  3. I take out my airpods pro and put them in my ears, the sound comes through the airpods
  4. I put the airpods back, the sounds then starts playing over the iMac speakers
  5. I select the Homepod in the top toolbar, the speaker icon shows the animation like it's trying to connect to the homepod but nothing happens
  6. However, if I try the controls on the homepod for start/pause they do control the music, just the sound is coming through the iMac
  7. The only way go get the sound back to homepod is to restart it, but then the problem repeats again once I reconnect the airpods

At the moment I'm looking to return the speaker next week as I had it for a week and have been dealing with this problem.

Homepod airplay problems on iMac + Airpods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.