You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup in 10.15

In reference to this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250766249

Why can't I automatically backup my iPhone to my Mac when I plug in my iPhone in macOS 10.15?

Every time I connect my iPhone, the setting "Backups" has been reverted to "Back up your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud"

Every time I connect, I set it to "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac" and then hit Apply, then Sync.

Every single time. How can I save this setting so I no longer have to keep changing it?

iMac 27" 2017 macOS Catalina 10.15.6

iPhone 11 iOS 13.7

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 5:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 3:05 AM

With regard to resetting all settings, I know a lot of people are hesitant to try it, but sometimes it does help. No guarantees, of course, but it might work. In light of the fact that this has been going on through different versions of Mac OS, that would seem to indicate that it is something on the phone and not on the Mac. I was just trying to throw out some ideas.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2020 3:05 AM in response to ric_lewis

With regard to resetting all settings, I know a lot of people are hesitant to try it, but sometimes it does help. No guarantees, of course, but it might work. In light of the fact that this has been going on through different versions of Mac OS, that would seem to indicate that it is something on the phone and not on the Mac. I was just trying to throw out some ideas.

Sep 13, 2020 6:04 PM in response to ric_lewis

This is similar to a problem that I have run into getting the WiFi sync to work every time when using iTunes. No explanation or reason why it wouldn’t just work.

Did you ever try just backing up without syncing, eject your phone, restart your Mac and then connect the phone again and see if the setting to backup to the Mac was still in place? I am still running an older version of Mac OS X so I still use iTunes. I’m not sure how all this works using the Finder in Catalina.

Something else that you could try is to reset all settings on your phone. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings. You won’t lose any data, but you will have to re-enter all of the device settings again which is a little bit of a PITA, but it’s not as intensive as wiping and then restoring. You will lose all of your WiFi network passwords so they will all have to be entered again. I have reset a settings a few times over the years and it does take a little time and a little work to get all of the settings back to where you had them.

Sep 13, 2020 7:04 PM in response to Demo

"Did you ever try just backing up without syncing, eject your phone, restart your Mac and then connect the phone again and see if the setting to backup to the Mac was still in place?"

Before posting this thread I tried all those steps but without the restart bit (kinda disruptive at work). I'm going to bet that restarting won't make one ounce of difference but I'll try it next time I get a chance.

"I am still running an older version of Mac OS X so I still use iTunes."

This behaviour started with the most recent versions of iTunes – it would never remember the setting, no matter what.

And I can't remember when it started happening, perhaps when I got the iPhone 11 late last year, perhaps before that, but it has been happening for over a year across Catalina and High Sierra. I only upgraded to Catalina this year.

I'm really not confident resetting the phone settings will do anything as I don't think this phone has ever had automatic backups working. The previous phone (iPhone 6 Plus) did have auto backups working.

Sep 18, 2020 7:09 PM in response to Demo

Demo, I can confirm that using the Reset All Settings option in Settings > General has fixed the above problem in iOS 13.7.

I've re-connected the USB cable and the Backups setting remains on "Backup to Mac"

I was skeptical, but your suggestion totally worked and for that I thank you.

A bit of history: this iPhone 11 had its data imported from an iPhone 6+ which in turn had its data imported from an iPhone 4.

I don't remember the last time I ever used 'Reset All Settings'.

Demo, do you think that somewhere in the last 9 years that particular backup setting got a little bit wonky on the phone, which prevented automatic backups in iTunes and then in Catalina?

Sep 19, 2020 2:53 AM in response to ric_lewis

ric_lewis wrote:

A bit of history: this iPhone 11 had its data imported from an iPhone 6+ which in turn had its data imported from an iPhone 4.

I don't remember the last time I ever used 'Reset All Settings'.

Demo, do you think that somewhere in the last 9 years that particular backup setting got a little bit wonky on the phone, which prevented automatic backups in iTunes and then in Catalina?

Yes, I think that if the setting got corrupted years ago, it’s possible that the bad setting just got carried on through each backup over the years. When you restore a backup, you restore your previous settings from that backup, so if a setting is corrupt, you will restore the corrupt setting to the new device.

I’m glad that you finally got things working correctly..

iPhone backup in 10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.