You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID asks for iPhone's 6-digit passcode to upgrade settings for MacBook Pro

I have a MacBook Pro and recently upgraded to MacOS Catalina from El Capitan. I am trying to set up my Apple ID.

I initially set it up and looked OK but later asked me to "update my settings" because "some services will not be available until i sign-in again". So it asked for the passcode of my iPhone 6 to upgrade the settings for the Apple ID. The problem is that my iPhone 6 has a 4-digit passcode so I followed the instructions and changed my passcode to a 6-digit one.

When I try to update the settings for my Apple ID, it asks for my apple-ID password and I put it, then my user password and I put it, and in the end it asks for the 6-digit passcode used by my iPhone to unlock. When I put the code, it says incorrect passcode and gives me a choice to "Reset Encrypted Data" to which I say Cancel.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? How do I update my Apple Id settings?

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.15

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 12:22 PM

That removes the associated phone encryption from not being able to enter the passcode. As I posted earlier, several people have posted they Reset Encrypted Data and lost little to no data.

See if anything here helps. 

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 20, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Eric Root

I have restarted my phone and also restarted my MacBook. I am clarifying that I am trying to set up the Apple ID on my MacBook (not on the iPhone).

So now, the MacBook is not even asking me for my 6-digit passcode. It is going straight in giving the option to approve this Mac from another device but cannot do it and then I have this window (attached screenshot) that gives the option to "reset encrypted data". I have no idea what that means so fo now I am not selecting it.

Apple ID asks for iPhone's 6-digit passcode to upgrade settings for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.