You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicated Safari 14.0 windows on MacOS Catalina

Hi there......I am running MacOS Catalina on a MacBook Pro. Safari updated over the weekend (I think) to version 14.0. Everything else is up to dat.

Previously, my Safari browser would regularly remain open with 11 pinned tabs and a couple of unpinned tabs in a window.

Today when I open my MacBook Safari has duplicated itself with two identical browser sessions with the 11 pinned tabs and I can't make one of them go away.

What I mean is that the Safari browser session with 11 pinned tabs appears twice in two separate browser sessions.

• If I try and close/quit/force quit one or both sessions, when I reopen Safari two sessions open up with the 11 pinned tabs.
  • If I close one or all pinned tabs in one of the browser sessions it automatically closes the same pinned tab in the other browser session. Then when I reopen that website and pin that tab it pins it also in the second session. However if I just open a webpage without pinning it, it only seems to open in the one session and not the other.

Any ideas what is causing this and what a fix might be?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 4:27 PM

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your response. I think I have resolved the problem after receiving some advice from a colleague. What I did to resolve the problems was:

• unpin all unpinned tabs
  • close all tabs
  • quit Safari
  • (ensure this all occurs on both the duplicated instances of Safari - which it did)
  • restart
  • re-open Safari
  • this then re-opened only one instance of Safari
  • pinning tabs works normally now.

Seems this has worked for me. If I encounter the problem again I will re-connect here.

Thanks.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2020 4:27 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your response. I think I have resolved the problem after receiving some advice from a colleague. What I did to resolve the problems was:

• unpin all unpinned tabs
  • close all tabs
  • quit Safari
  • (ensure this all occurs on both the duplicated instances of Safari - which it did)
  • restart
  • re-open Safari
  • this then re-opened only one instance of Safari
  • pinning tabs works normally now.

Seems this has worked for me. If I encounter the problem again I will re-connect here.

Thanks.

Duplicated Safari 14.0 windows on MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.