You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a MacBook Pro A1990 on EBay but it has an activation lock? How do I get rid of it? So I can use the device?

I bought a MacBook Pro A1990 on EBay but it has an activation lock? How do I get rid of it? So I can use the device?

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 9:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 9:08 PM

A device with Activation Lock is locked by the Apple servers. It's locked when you try to reset it without first logging out of the Apple ID that it was assigned to. The ONLY way to get it going is to have the original owner remove the lock by removing it from their Apple ID. Once it's removed from their ID it will release the activation lock and allow you to get it to work

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2020 9:08 PM in response to jp211

A device with Activation Lock is locked by the Apple servers. It's locked when you try to reset it without first logging out of the Apple ID that it was assigned to. The ONLY way to get it going is to have the original owner remove the lock by removing it from their Apple ID. Once it's removed from their ID it will release the activation lock and allow you to get it to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.