You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with people naming in Apple Photos

When I select an 'Add faces' circle and position it over a face, when I attempt to add the persons name the circle moves back to its original place. Usually after a number of attempts the circle will stay in the correct place, but when I click in the name box to add a name I'm taken to Edit photos regardless of the letter I enter in the box. After numerous attempts the box will allow me to enter some of the name, but will then close the photo and move onto another before i finish entering a new name or selecting an existing one. Also finding that sometimes existing names no longer appear when I start entering details in the name box. It is taking me hours to manually name a handful of people. Any help would be appreciated. My 2017 iMac is running 10.15.6. My photo library has about 71,000 photos.

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 10:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 11:53 AM

but when I click in the name box to add a name I'm taken to Edit photos regardless of the letter I enter in the box.

That is happening to me too, when I enter a name or enter a keyword. The problem is, that the Info panel is continually losing the focus, as soon as the cursor is accidentally moved out of the pane, and when we use the return key to finish entering the name, and the cursor has moved out of the Info panel, the return key will open the editor instead. Avoid the return key, when entering text, unless you are sure, that the focus is still on the Info panel.

When the faces circles stat to jump, I restart Photos. That will usually help for a while.

You may want to send feedback directly to Apple with with a bug report:Feedback - Photos - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2020 11:53 AM in response to PhilDan

but when I click in the name box to add a name I'm taken to Edit photos regardless of the letter I enter in the box.

That is happening to me too, when I enter a name or enter a keyword. The problem is, that the Info panel is continually losing the focus, as soon as the cursor is accidentally moved out of the pane, and when we use the return key to finish entering the name, and the cursor has moved out of the Info panel, the return key will open the editor instead. Avoid the return key, when entering text, unless you are sure, that the focus is still on the Info panel.

When the faces circles stat to jump, I restart Photos. That will usually help for a while.

You may want to send feedback directly to Apple with with a bug report:Feedback - Photos - Apple

Issues with people naming in Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.