You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-functioning USB Keyboard within Recovery Mode

I would like to preface this post by stating I have performed at least five separate NVRAM and SMC resets. This has not solved my problem. I have also tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in several times.

My Issue:

I am trying to reinstall MacOS. When entering Recovery Mode over Internet, I am able to use my keyboard long enough to type in my password to authenticate. After that, I'm stuck on the authentication successful screen. Why? I am no longer able to navigate any menus with my keyboard. Tabbing and the arrow keys no longer work.

I thought of using the regular recovery mode without Internet. I am able to select my language using the arrow keys. After that, I am no longer able to navigate using tab and arrow keys.

Any insight into this problem past what I have already tried would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 5:29 AM

So, I tried again with my keyboard. It decided to work finally even though I did nothing. I had to use voice over to select within the menus but it’s reinstalling Catalina now.

EDIT: For anyone that may end up on this page. Voice over is enabled with Command+F5

Similar questions

9 replies

Non-functioning USB Keyboard within Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.