You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans are running on high speed need to clean the inside of my desk top

How do I go about cleaning the inside of my desk top comp

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM

iMacs are sealed units that cannot be opened up by the user without special tools and experience The best you can do is apply compressed air to the vents on the bottom of the unit. Unless, of course, you are one of those types that loves to take things apart.

However, runaway fans are often not caused by accumulated dirt but by corruption/glitches in the SMC system (System Management Controller)

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM in response to yoggibear24

iMacs are sealed units that cannot be opened up by the user without special tools and experience The best you can do is apply compressed air to the vents on the bottom of the unit. Unless, of course, you are one of those types that loves to take things apart.

However, runaway fans are often not caused by accumulated dirt but by corruption/glitches in the SMC system (System Management Controller)

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Oct 29, 2020 10:41 AM in response to yoggibear24

I have an issue with using "canned air" on the vents. It can turn "easily-removed" lint to "impossible-to-access" lint by blowing it deeper into the computer. If you shake the can, you can form moisture inside the computer. That would be bad.

I use a strong vacuum cleaner and a non-static pasty brush (wood handle; natural, not synthetic bristles). I hold the vacuum nozzle about 2 inches (50cm) from the bottom vents and use the brush to flick the dust on the vents taward the nozzle. This may be easier to do with the iMac face down on a flat soft surface. Just make sure that it is stable on the surface. If not, get help to steady it.

As already pointed out, every iMac starting with the Late 2012 models has a sealed case and only professional disassembly is recommended.

Fans are running on high speed need to clean the inside of my desk top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.