You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar display distorted, showing only pixels

Hello,

first time on the forum here. Wanted to check if the same issue has occurred to anyone and if there is a solution or way to fix it.

Context:

Device : MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019

The Touch Bar was still working and displaying fine the day before, but when I turned the device on today, this was the Touch Bar (see image attached)

I have tried to kill the Touch Bar processes but to no avail. At the same time, Apple diagnostics showed no issues. Anyone had the similar thing happen to them before ?

MacBook

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 6:45 PM

5 replies

Oct 10, 2020 8:20 AM in response to aochanderu

Hello aochanderu,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We see that you are having an issue with the Touch Bar on your MacBook Pro not showing properly, instead showing a pixelated image. Let's start by resetting your SMC and NVRAM, which can help with system and display related issues. Use the steps in the articles below:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to have issues with the Touch Bar, get back with us and we can see where to go from there.

Best regards.

Oct 13, 2020 2:25 PM in response to aochanderu

aochanderu wrote:

Hello Brendan! Thanks for your response and apologies for not being able to get back to you earlier.

I have tried to reset both the SMC and NVRAM but the issue still persists. On top of that, the distorted Touch Bar now seems to stay on even on shutdown. I hope this helps

You have a hardware issue— which requires service.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Touch Bar display distorted, showing only pixels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.