You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New computer, installed from Time Machine, can't update Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iMovie

Hi,

I bought a new MacBook Pro. My previous one was ten years old and still running El Capitan.

The new computer is running Catalina 10.15.7.

I then used Time machine from my old computer to bring all that back. I did include importing Applications.

Now I have, for example, Numbers 10.0. According to the App Store, there are updates for iMovie, Garage Band, Numbers, Pages, Keynote.

When I click on one to Update in the Apple Store, I get the message

Cannot Update App

iMovie cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.

(same message with the other apps too)

These older versions on the computer do open.

The Apple ID from my old computer to this one is the same (although I changed the password).

I assume I am now looking at the versions of those Apps from the Time Machine of my old computer, as opposed to the ones that came with the new computer, but is that true?

How do I update them?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 8:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 1:55 PM

There was a recent post here of the same problem. They were unable to update the pre-installed Numbers app (which is why they posted the problem here). The solution was to delete the app and reinstall it when logged into your own account. This should work on the other apps, too.

Similar questions

4 replies

New computer, installed from Time Machine, can't update Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.