You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor

I recently bought a 16" MBP 32G, which I would like to use with an external monitor when I'm at home.

I have an AOC 24" Widescreen monitor that I got in 2015, which I have for the past 3 years been using as an external monitor with my 2017 27" imac (16G), using a Belkin USB-c VGA adapter.

It occurred to me that I might be able to plug it into my mbp. Why, you might ask,? Because I have Parallels installed on it to run a specialty program I need for my work.

However, when I tried to plug & play using the VGA adapter, the screen goes blank on the mbp and the AOC monitor flashes once "No signal" and then stays blank.

I went through all Apple's troubleshooting steps, including restarting the MBP with the monitor plugged into it. Same issue. If I unplug the monitor, the Mbp works fine. When I plug it back into the imac, it works fine. I can't troubleshoot while the monitor is plugged into the mbp because, obviously, the screens stay blank.

Is it the adapter?

Is the monitor not compatible with the Mbp?

I am willing to get a new monitor, but only if I can't figure out a cheaper solution in a timely fashion.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 10:13 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 8, 2020 11:49 AM in response to phoebedeheron

I doubt it's Mouse or KB.

Display

Retina display

16‑inch (diagonal) LED‑backlit display with IPS technology; 3072‑by‑1920 native resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

Supported scaled resolutions:

• 2048 by 1280
  • 1792 by 1120
  • 1344 by 840
  • 1152 by 720

500 nits brightness

Wide color (P3)

True Tone technology

Refresh rates: 47.95Hz, 48.00Hz, 50.00Hz, 59.94Hz, 60.00Hz

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors or
  • Up to four displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

My only uneducated guess would be Cable.

Oct 27, 2020 3:57 PM in response to BDAqua

I had to get a new external monitor anyhow so I made sure I got one that had an HDMI port. Then I got an HDMI to USB-c cable (referenced by BDAqua above) so I didn't have to use any adapters (I actually tried using the other cable with an adapter & had the same issue). As soon as I powered up after connecting the new cable, everything worked. I am now a very happy camper.

External monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.