You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Format

Keep getting an error message that reads: "The backup disk is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which is required." Can't figure out how to change the format. Any answers appreciated. Thanks- Joe

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 9:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 10:58 AM

Copy these important documents first to another external drive or to your internal hard drive. Then, you can reformat your external drive and make TimeMachine backups. You can include an external drive in a TimeMachine backup

10 replies

Oct 8, 2020 10:59 AM in response to JoeHDVoyager

I personally do not use Time Machine, but I am sure that if you reformat the backup disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format as requested, while you will loose the existing Time Machine data, you can reset Time Machine to do a new format. Then it will continue to update any files which have been changed as normal. So, nothing is really lost. Your backed up data is simply replaced with a new back up.

Oct 9, 2020 2:10 AM in response to JoeHDVoyager

Hi Joe,

Mulberry58 has given good advice. Any crucial files should be stored elsewhere whilst you sort out your new external drive.

Your new external drive may be from a PC or formatted for PC.

You will have to make it readable for Apple.

Any data that is on it will be erased as part of this process.

It is pretty straightforward. You use an Application called 'Disk Utility' which is on your Mac system. Found in Finder - then select Go and then drop down to Utilities. Open it up and if your new external disc is connected, disc utility will see it. Select your external disc, select Erase. In the drop down menus give it a name and select MacOS extended (Journaled).

See how you go. Hope this helps Joe. Post again and I'll check back if I can be any more help.

Time Machine Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.