You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari cannot open files anymore (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7)

Since last week, i cannot open files using Safari.

If I want to upload a file onto a website, the rainbow circle just goes round and round and hangs without any pop up folder to select the file.

I thought it was my macbook pro's memory issue or maybe too many documents in my laptop.

But i used google chrome and microsoft edge to upload from the very same websites and it works perfectly.

Is something wrong with safari? Is it buggy? Anyone experiencing the same?

How can I solve this problem as some websites work better on safari and I want to use it to upload stuff.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:10 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 20, 2020 3:37 PM in response to mingzy

Hey again mingzy!,

Thanks for the additional info. Let's next make sure we've covered all the normal bases to try and resolve this issue for you.

It might seem simple but we'd like to start with a full restart of your Mac as outlined in Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac.

Specifically, we'll want to reference the steps under "Restart":

"On your Mac, do any of the following:

• Choose Apple menu  > Restart.
  • Press and hold the power button until you see options, then click Restart or press R (or use the Touch Bar).
  • If the pointer freezes on the screen or your Mac becomes unresponsive, press and hold Control-Command while you press the power button to force a restart.
  • Important: If you force a restart, you may lose unsaved changes in open documents.

If you don’t want the app windows you currently have open to reopen when you restart your Mac and sign in, deselect “Reopen windows when logging back in.”

Let us know if the issue persists afterwards and we can continue from there.

Regards.

Oct 19, 2020 9:55 AM in response to mingzy

Hey mingzy!,

Thanks for using Apple Communities!

It sounds like you've been having some issues uploading files to websites when using Safari. We can understand the desire to see that resolved and we'll do everything we can to assist. To begin, we'd like to gain a better understanding of the issue by asking a few questions:

Can you provide some examples of websites where this issue occurs?

Did anything specific occur last week that coincided with this beginning? Things like adding new software or updating macOS for example.

Let us know and we'll continue there.

Regards.

Oct 19, 2020 10:06 AM in response to ManJor

Hi ManJor

thanks for your reply. The upload problem happened on various websites, from Facebook to yahoo email to Instagram and canva.com. All of which i use daily and am familiar with the procedures.

I don’t recall any particular update on my system but it’s auto update and always kept to the latest update. I only started discovering this when I tried to upload Facebook pictures but couldn’t. At first I thought my wifi was wonky, so I just gave up.

But later when I was 100% my wifi wasn’t the cause and other browsers worked fine, did I think it was just safaris issue.

thanks for your help.

safari cannot open files anymore (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.