You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orange light by the camera. How do I know the microphone is being used during a phone call?

Please be clear and precise. Does the orange dot during a phone call mean the microphone I'm talking into is being used by the apple phone app? If so, how am I to know that a different app is also using the microphone?

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 6:40 AM

Thanks for pointing out, how this doesn't really resolve the ultimate issues with security breaches permissible by phone carriers, as it pertains to codecs of your voice being recorded, such as with programs like VOIP ; )

6 replies

Oct 31, 2020 1:10 PM in response to C.B.19

I think the main value at this point is if the LED is lit when you don't expect it to be.

Certainly you can expect it when you're on a call/zoom/etc. but if it's lit when you're running some other app (or no app at all) then that's a big red flag.

Hopefully the feature will refine over time to give you more feedback.

Orange light by the camera. How do I know the microphone is being used during a phone call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.