You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I edit a master slide, is the edit only for that presentation?

If I edit a master slide, is the edit only for that presentation or will it edit Keynote itself so that all my future presentations in that theme have my personally edited slide?

I use Keynote extensively, and have for over a decade, but I’ve always been afraid to edit a master slide in fear that it’ll mess up the Apple-created default slide for future presentations made in that same theme!

Thanks, in advance!

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 8:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 1:25 PM

When I then create a NEW file and use the SAME theme, will the master of that slide be the Apple default or will it be my edit of the Apple default?

It will use the original master without any changes you made.

The Master Slide remains inside the original presentation, it is not added to any other themes or presentations.

when I edit a master in a file, do I lose for all future use (whenever I create new files in that same theme) the original master that I edited in a previous file?

When you alter a Master Slide in a presentation, that altered Master Slide remains only in that specific presentation, it does not alter other themes, other Master Slides or other presentations.

If you want to use that altered Master Slide again, you would create a custom Theme using File > Save Theme and save the theme file to a folder on your Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 6, 2020 1:25 PM in response to atobteam1

When I then create a NEW file and use the SAME theme, will the master of that slide be the Apple default or will it be my edit of the Apple default?

It will use the original master without any changes you made.

The Master Slide remains inside the original presentation, it is not added to any other themes or presentations.

when I edit a master in a file, do I lose for all future use (whenever I create new files in that same theme) the original master that I edited in a previous file?

When you alter a Master Slide in a presentation, that altered Master Slide remains only in that specific presentation, it does not alter other themes, other Master Slides or other presentations.

If you want to use that altered Master Slide again, you would create a custom Theme using File > Save Theme and save the theme file to a folder on your Mac.

Nov 6, 2020 12:52 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks, Gary. When I then create a NEW file and use the SAME theme, will the master of that slide be the Apple default or will it be my edit of the Apple default? In other words, when I edit a master in a file, do I lose for all future use (whenever I create new files in that same theme) the original master that I edited in a previous file?

When I edit a master slide, is the edit only for that presentation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.