You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Locked in Endless Reboot Cycle

Hello,

I've successfully downloaded Big Sur but when I run the updater, my iMac (late 2017) reboots, shows a white progress bar that gets to about 20%, then the machine reboots again ... and then the whole thing repeats. After two hours of this (and about 20 reboots), I gave up, booted into Recovery Mode, and resintalled Catalina.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Big Sur installed fine on my older MacBook Air but the iMac is very unhappy.

Is it, for example, possible to install Big Sur from Safe Mode?

Many thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 2:36 AM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Andy Bannister

Greetings Andy,

It sounds like you are unable to instal Big Sur on one of your Mac computer. We know how important having the latest macOS is for you. You’re in the right place to find a resolution.

Here's a resource that can help on how to upgrade to Big Sur:

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

If you need continued assistance, then please reach out to our AppleCare phone support team via this link: Get Support.

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2020 12:55 AM in response to raina_b22

Thanks — did all that and more! Apple Support have now picked this up and it's been escalated up the chain, as it looks like I (and others reporting the same issue) have found a nasty bug in the installer process. I had an hour on the phone with a Senior Adviser two days ago and now they have engineering pouring over log files I've sent them ...

Big Sur Locked in Endless Reboot Cycle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.