You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove pictures with missing referenced files

I am on Big Sur. I noticed that several pictures in the Library are showing unknown reference. Probably I deleted them from the hard drive but they are still in the Photos Library.

How do I delete these pictures with missing referenced files? In previous versions of Photos there was an option to create smart albums for pictures with missing referenced files, but now this option is not available anymore.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 10:03 PM

What part of creating a Smart Album with criterion ("Photo" "is" "referenced") isn't working for you in Photos 6.0? I can create such a Smart Album in Photos 6.0. (It doesn't show anything, because I truly have no referenced photos in my library.)

9 replies

Nov 14, 2020 4:45 PM in response to paulpolow

Are all your photos referenced or only some of them?

If you try to export multiple images at once (from a smart album: Photo is referenced), you will get an error message, if the selection includes files with broken references. The filename will be shown in the error message. You could use this as a test to find the broken references.

The smart album rule to find missing referenced files did not just vanish in Photos 6 on Big Sur. It is also not available in Photos 5 and Photos 4, I just checked again. I have used it frequently in Aperture, but do not remember any Photos version that had this rule.

Nov 16, 2020 11:21 PM in response to markwmsn

I was not able to find the attribute "referenced" because it is wrongly translated in Italian - this is the language setting in my Mac. The current italian translation is "selezionata" which means "selected", hence it is misleading. This solved my question, event though I wonder how to flag this issue to Apple.

Many thanks to all for your help!

Remove pictures with missing referenced files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.