You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac did not reboot to continue install

Install Downloaded Big Sur I clicked on install. Install said restarting but Mac did not reboot to continue install. After an hour I crashed it. Won’t boot.

I guess I will have to restore back up and start over.

Any idea as to what I should do differently this next time?

while I am waiting for the backup restore to complete can I download the update to have it ready?

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 3:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 3:35 PM

Big Sur is a "Universal Binary", containing BOTH Intel-code and Apple-silicon code, selected at runtime. As such it is enormous.

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. 

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 15, 2020 3:35 PM in response to steveu75

Big Sur is a "Universal Binary", containing BOTH Intel-code and Apple-silicon code, selected at runtime. As such it is enormous.

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. 

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Mac did not reboot to continue install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.