You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate mailboxes in mail

Since updating to Big Sur, I have had a problem with the Apple Mail client. Multiple/duplicate mailboxes are listed.

Have several IMAP mail accounts. All show up in an "All Inboxes" folder under "Favorites" in the sidebar. All accounts are configured the same - Drafts/Sent/Junk/Trash all go to "All [Drafts/Sent/Junk/Trash" On My Mac.

Under "Favorites" there is a folder named "All Sent." Click the disclosure triangle and each of my accounts are listed there. So far, so good.

The problem is that in the "On My Mac" section, there is a separate folder named "Sent" for each account. The contents of these folders is the same as the ones listed in the "Favorites" section.

In addition, there is also a folder "Trash" for each account in the One My Mac section. There is no corresponding "All Trash" collection in favorites or anywhere else.

If I create a draft email, a "Drafts" mailbox will appear under favorites as well as the On My Mac section. If I create a draft in more than one account, a mailbox collection will appear in favorites and separate mailboxes, both named "Drafts," will appear in the On My Mac section.

Drafts and sent both have end up with duplicate folders in Favorites and On My Mac.

Trash just ends up with folders in "On My Mac" all with the same name

Spam/Junk all ends up in account folders on the server, despite the "On My Mac" setting.

This is not how it has worked in any previous version of Mail. Is there a way to correct this?

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 5:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 5:24 AM

I have the same problem. Instead of using the All Sent and All Drafts mailboxes that are under the All Inboxes folder, Apple Mail, after the Update to Mac OS Big Sur, creates a new mailbox of either DRAFT or SENT in the Mailboxes Folder under these above-mentioned folders. I am fedup to see every **** happening with every Apple OS Update, this time it’s with mail and with Safari Browser having a hover color similar to WHITE so that you DO NOT SEE what you have selected in the URL bar. Not yet found a solution and use Firefox and Chrome instead.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2020 5:24 AM in response to Joe M21

I have the same problem. Instead of using the All Sent and All Drafts mailboxes that are under the All Inboxes folder, Apple Mail, after the Update to Mac OS Big Sur, creates a new mailbox of either DRAFT or SENT in the Mailboxes Folder under these above-mentioned folders. I am fedup to see every **** happening with every Apple OS Update, this time it’s with mail and with Safari Browser having a hover color similar to WHITE so that you DO NOT SEE what you have selected in the URL bar. Not yet found a solution and use Firefox and Chrome instead.

Nov 16, 2020 6:41 AM in response to Joe M21

Follow up... I figured out how to add the "All Trash" back into the favorites list (click "+" sign that appears when hovering mouse over "Favorites" in the sidebar).

However, an annoyingly long list of "Drafts," "Trash," and "Sent" mailboxes still appear in the sidebar and junk mail always stays on the server.

duplicate mailboxes in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.