You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system information not showing my applications

I am running Mac OS10.14.6 Mojave on my Mac Mini 2018 for over a year now. In preparation to move to Catalina and then Big Sur, I use the System Information to then look at all my applications and sort by 64 bit "YES" or "NO" to check on 32 bit applications (that won't work on Catalina / Big Sur).

Today I did that and only 7 applications (of the 200 or so I have on my Mac and in the Applications folder) are showing and 2 listed as "Recents" - so 9 line items.

This is something that happened in the past few days. I could ALWAYS see all my Applications in System Information before today. On my MBP-2016 which I am using to test Catalina, all the applications there show perfectly. But not on my Main Mac Mini!

I've tried restarting… same result.

The Applications folder contains all my Apps and all that I checked are (and have been) running perfectly.

WHY CAN'T I SEE THESE APPS in SYTEM INFORMATION?

Thanks for any suggestions / things to try or comments.

Steve on Sunday 29 November 2020

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:31 PM

Oh no, don't hesitate to ask, not a problem. :)

You'd have to set the Samsung as boot drive in Sys Prefs>Startup Disk before safe Mode would work on it.

The idea behind Safe Boot is to ensure success...

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions.

Yes, doing it from the faster drive should work.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2020 1:31 PM in response to Stephen Schulte1

Oh no, don't hesitate to ask, not a problem. :)

You'd have to set the Samsung as boot drive in Sys Prefs>Startup Disk before safe Mode would work on it.

The idea behind Safe Boot is to ensure success...

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions.

Yes, doing it from the faster drive should work.

Nov 29, 2020 1:17 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply! I must admit I'm a bit confused. I have NOT installed the 2020-005 or 2020-006 security updates (see attached screenshot showing that I am ABLE to download and install these, but have not yet done that) since a few months ago when I installed the security update 2020-002 was it?-- well that caused major problems. I'm actually back on Safari 12.1.2 because the Safari 14.x update at that time caused issues where I could not even start Safari…

OK so do I understand you correctly in that I should:

1. Restart in Safe mode
  2. Open the link you provided (in Safari, not Firefox)
  3. Do that update and then…
  4. …restart in normal mode

Have I got that correct?

Again, thanks very much as this is more than perplexing to me. I have a full bootable backup via SuperDuper! on a fast Samsung X5 external Thunderbolt-3 SSD (but when I boot to that I get a similar "almost no applications showing" result on the Systems Information).

Once I hear from you I will take the next steps.

My MacBook Pro-2016 now running Catalina (it is not my main Mac, so I use it to test things before upgrading my Mac Mini which is now my MAIN MAC) -- that seems to be working fine and showing all applications etc. in System Information.

Thanks very much and again, I'm doing nothing until I hear back from you here.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Sunday 29 November 2020

Nov 30, 2020 5:08 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks again, BDAqua!

I guess I'm a little surprised that I have to do the UpDate from a "Safe Mode" start-- is that something new, doing updates from a SAFE START? I've never updated a Mac using safe start… Thanks for any information on that.

Also: Is this link (which takes me to the Mac Apps Store) going to re-install 10.14.6 over my current 10.14.6 but also including all those security updates which I show above (that I have not yet installed)??

And finally: Can I test all this by starting my Mac Mini from my super-fast external Samsung X5 Thunderbolt-3 SSD and do everything you said and then see the result? ((ONE PROBLEM WITH THAT I THINK: If I go to do a restart in SAFE mode by holding down the SHIFT key, will this open in SAFE mode from the Samsung X5 external or ???)

Sorry about all these questions but before altering my MAIN MAC MINI I really want to be sure of what I'm doing and what to expect.

Thanks again,

Steve

MacOnly since 1989 - and yeah, my Mac SE running MacOS 6.0.4 still working but I've got to find a new CRT screen………

Dec 1, 2020 9:33 AM in response to BDAqua

OK great and I hope to get to that tomorrow--- end of month paperwork and no time today!

And a new issue… I'm trialing Catalina on my MBP-2016 and all great (I don't rush into upgrading as you can see!) -- EXCEPT no sound when sending or receiving eMails… That's an issue for another post which I'll do tomorrow if I cannot solve it by then!

Thanks again and I'll be back here to post an UpDate on this Mojave issue.

Tuesday 1 December 2020

Dec 25, 2020 11:02 AM in response to BDAqua

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! It worked perfectly!! I did 3 SuperDuper! backups of my Mac Mini with Mojave, then did exactly as you said from safe boot --- all worked great-- then did all the Safari and Mojave updates -- all great -- all applications showing in System Information -- really super!!

Thanks so much!

I have BIG SUR running on my MBP and likely in a few months will move my Mac Mini from Mojave directly to Big Sur - skipping Catalina (which I tested for 3 weeks on my MBP-2016). Still looking for Xerox to offer a 64 bit version of their excellent SCAN ASSISTANT but don't think they will so likely have to spend the $60 to get VUESCAN which works great from Big Sur.

OK thanks again and I'm a real happy camper on Christmas today!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Friday 25 December 2020

system information not showing my applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.