You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop icons don't stay in places in the grid where they are dropped

I have files on the desktop as small icons with text name after them to the right of the icon. I try to move them around to places on the desktop where I would like them to be and they do not always stay in the (ample) spaces in the grid where I am trying to put them. They jump from there back to where they were or to a different place in between. It is very buggy and has been a problem off and on with various operating systems over the years. Never seen it fixed. Any ideas?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 1:48 PM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2020 7:28 PM in response to lgeeslin

lgeeslin wrote:

I have files on the desktop as small icons with text name after them to the right of the icon. I try to move them around to places on the desktop where I would like them to be and they do not always stay in the (ample) spaces in the grid where I am trying to put them. They jump from there back to where they were or to a different place in between. It is very buggy and has been a problem off and on with various operating systems over the years. Never seen it fixed. Any ideas?

See if there is anything here:

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp2209/mac

¿ Check grid spacing options—make some changes...?

¿ Check icon size options—make some changes...?

desktop icons don't stay in places in the grid where they are dropped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.