You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update is required to connect to your iPhone

I recently upgraded my Mac to Catalina. Now when I plug my iPhone into my Mac with a USB cable I get the message:

A software update is required to connect to your iPhone

And the iPhone does not show up in Finder.

My Mac has 10.15.7 and iPhone has 14.0.1. Those are supposed to be compatible. What's wrong? They can't mean Big Sur is required.

I used to connect to the Mac without problem when it had Mojave.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 12:56 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 13, 2020 5:46 AM in response to therustyshackleford

therustyshackleford wrote:

My iDevices are on the latest versions (iOS 14.2) and I'm also getting that upgrade prompt when plugging my iPad or iPhone into my iMac on 10.15.7.

That makes me think that the upgrade prompt is false, because you already have the correct versions. It may be that the Mac just wants to use wi-fi instead of USB to communicate with your device, so it gives you that prompt because the sw update requires wi-fi. Try setting up a wi-fi connection and see if that helps. Let us know.

there is some info at

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210611

Dec 10, 2020 2:52 PM in response to Ayrehead

I saw the same message when I recently updated my iPhone and iPad using my computer. I completed the required update and the iPhone and iPad were now able to be seen by iTunes. I then completed the iDevice updates as normal. I have since connected several iDevices to the computer without further requests to download a computer update.

Dec 12, 2020 4:34 PM in response to stedman1

The update for me turned out to be iOS 14.2. It took some gyrations to get that to happen. It seems that now some communication with the iPhone is only via USB and some is only via wi-fi. The procedure for getting the update starts with using the USB, but the system message said first I must have the update already running. Either I'm misunderstanding something, or that's catch 22. I ended up booting into Mojave (I have 2 volumes on the hard disk for the 2 macOS's). There I could communicate with the iPhone via USB and itunes, and I got the update that way. Then I booted into Catalina and things worked ok. Note that you must go to Finder prefs, sidebar tab, and enable iOS devices.

The moral is update your iOS devices to the latest before upgrading macOS.

Software update is required to connect to your iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.