You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP not seeing or importing videos from iPhone 12 Pro

An existing Library in FCP on my iMac can only see 6 of the 482 videos on my iPhone.

Connected by Lightning cable, the iPhone uses Photos app in iCloud.

If I create a new Library and try to import, the same thing happens.

All macOS and iOS software is the latest version, and all devices have been rebooted.

Any ideas? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 8:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 9:03 AM

If you’re using iCloud Photo Library most of the content, though it appears on your phone, is really stored in the cloud, and FCP won’t access material that’s not available locally. That’s most likely the problem.

8 replies

Dec 13, 2020 3:33 AM in response to Jagmurcredrea

Hi Tom,

You were absolutely correct, thanks for that!

Whilst you're there... I've been struggling over several FCP versions and macOSs to sort my footage using Smart Collections.

Put simply, I need to sort footage into calendar years.

If I try to create a Smart Collection for 2018 footage, FCP seems to not like it... I set it as Screenshot 1, close it, and it opens per Screenshot 2 - defaults to today's date, totally wrong! This has been happening for years. Is it me?

(You'll notice that, uniquely on my Macs, FCP uses USA date format - I am in the UK!)

The best alternative I have found is to search for (say) 2018, and then apply a 2018 keyword to all the clips. This is a bit clunky, and not smart, as if I add further footage I have to re-do the 'search and add keyword' procedure.

I'm dealing with 2,700 clips and counting, so there's a lot to handle.

Thanks.

Set this way...

Re-opens this way...

Dec 12, 2020 9:27 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom, that makes sense.

I checked my 256GB iPhone and discovered I had 130GB of AppleTV media. Deleted!

So, I've set Photos to 'Download and Keep Originals'. There's 42,000 of them so it may take some time.

I'll come back to you with the result.

(Otherwise, I guess I'll need to export the videos from Mac Photos, which are originals, and then import to FCP?)

Many thanks Tom.

FCP not seeing or importing videos from iPhone 12 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.