You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD upgrade for Macbook Pro 15" mid-2012

Hi all,

I am planning on upgrading my gf's macbook pro by installing a 1TB SSD and a new SATA cable. Could anyone confirm that these parts will be compatible?

Its a 15" mid-2012 MacBook Pro.

SSD I plan to buy:

WD Green 1TB Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s,

2.5"/7mm - WDS100T2G0A | Ebuyer.com

SATA cable I plan to buy:

MMOBIEL Replacement HDD Hard Drive Ir Sensor Sleep Detector

Cable with Hard Drive Bracket compatible with Macbook Pro A1286 15” Mid 2012

Part Nr 821-1492-01/821-1492-A: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Happy to

provide more info if needed!

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:16 AM

Backup any data you have on the original before you start doing anything.

Make sure you know how to take static electricity precautions, and use the right screwdrivers as documented on http://www.ifixit.com/

The cable you see is usually unnecessary. Just make sure not to dismount the bracket that is attached to the chasis of the computer or unscrew it, as it is attached to the heat sensor cable which is very fragile and easy to damage. That cable is only if you damage it in the process. Usually removing the drive can be done simply by removing the top part of the inside bracket and carefully sliding it out and detaching the SATA cable. Generally it is unnecessary to do anything with the IO cable, as that is very fragile and easy to damage trying to reconnect it to the logicboard.

Use the command-option-shift-R internet restore while hooked up via ethernet after inserting and connecting the SSD, to use Disk Utility to reformat the WD drive before installing any OS. Use the Migration Assistant after upgrading the internal drive to match the OS on the old platter drive, and connect the old platter drive via a USB-SATA drive reader, that has its own AC power.

Take it from an Apple Certified Tech, if you take the precautions I indicate to the letter, you should be fine. If you have any doubt, ask an Apple Certified Tech to do it for you.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2020 10:16 AM in response to NotoriusPIP

Backup any data you have on the original before you start doing anything.

Make sure you know how to take static electricity precautions, and use the right screwdrivers as documented on http://www.ifixit.com/

The cable you see is usually unnecessary. Just make sure not to dismount the bracket that is attached to the chasis of the computer or unscrew it, as it is attached to the heat sensor cable which is very fragile and easy to damage. That cable is only if you damage it in the process. Usually removing the drive can be done simply by removing the top part of the inside bracket and carefully sliding it out and detaching the SATA cable. Generally it is unnecessary to do anything with the IO cable, as that is very fragile and easy to damage trying to reconnect it to the logicboard.

Use the command-option-shift-R internet restore while hooked up via ethernet after inserting and connecting the SSD, to use Disk Utility to reformat the WD drive before installing any OS. Use the Migration Assistant after upgrading the internal drive to match the OS on the old platter drive, and connect the old platter drive via a USB-SATA drive reader, that has its own AC power.

Take it from an Apple Certified Tech, if you take the precautions I indicate to the letter, you should be fine. If you have any doubt, ask an Apple Certified Tech to do it for you.

SSD upgrade for Macbook Pro 15" mid-2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.