You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update OS on MacBook Air early 2015

My system:

MacBook Air 13 inch early 2015

OS Mojave 10.14.6

Excel for Mac 2011 version 14.7.7

On occasion I receive notification to update the Mojave OS. AS you probably aware many newer OS do not support the Excel version installed. I have no need to update Excel. Now I see Apple offering OS Big Sur 11.01 - 12.18GB

I ask will this OS support Excel for Mac 2011? If not what are my options at minimum expense to continue using Excel 2011. I do not use Microsoft Word. Word processor in use is Pages.

Thank you for assistance to help with modernization.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 12:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 1:19 PM

Apple's Numbers can open, edit and save Excel files in Excel format or its own format. You might try some of your spreadsheets with Pages and see if it will work with them sufficiently to migrate to Numbers.

Also the free LibreOffice app can do the same with MS Office files. Give it a try also.

6 replies

Dec 13, 2020 1:55 PM in response to Old Toad

WOW!!! Impressive the short turnaround. Quick look at MSOffice Files and they ask for a few $$$'s to be able to use unless I mistaken. During this coming week will first try with pages as installed.

A quick look at Libre Office says they read Excel files. This will be my 2nd try.

Thanks much for launching me into some possible alternatives to save $$$'s.

Appreciate your assistance

Update OS on MacBook Air early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.