You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Big Sur 11.1 Update Stalling

My Big Sur 11.1 Update consistently stalls at the same point. The system just hangs at 10 minutes estimated remaining.

I tried running overnight with all other apps, except for Finder, "Force Quit."

Suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 2:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 4:39 AM

I figured it out after I posted the question to the forum. I restarted my Macbook (2020 model) in Recovery Mode (Cmd + R).

Once I was into the menu, I selected 'Reinstall Mac OS." As soon as I made certain that I had a good Wi-Fi connection on my home network, I let Apple load a new version of the Mac OS.

It took no more than 45 minutes from start to finish - with no stalling or freezing.

Afterwards, I checked "About This Mac." It reports Big Sur 11.1. Success!

Evidently, when you do an OS reinstall, you get the most current version, in this case the exact updated version I was trying to install in the first place.

Sometimes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut or two.

Thanks to all who contributed.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2020 4:39 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I figured it out after I posted the question to the forum. I restarted my Macbook (2020 model) in Recovery Mode (Cmd + R).

Once I was into the menu, I selected 'Reinstall Mac OS." As soon as I made certain that I had a good Wi-Fi connection on my home network, I let Apple load a new version of the Mac OS.

It took no more than 45 minutes from start to finish - with no stalling or freezing.

Afterwards, I checked "About This Mac." It reports Big Sur 11.1. Success!

Evidently, when you do an OS reinstall, you get the most current version, in this case the exact updated version I was trying to install in the first place.

Sometimes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut or two.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Dec 20, 2020 5:07 PM in response to t2andreo

Hello t2andreo,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having trouble updating your Mac. We’re happy to help. A backup is recommended before you update your Mac to secure your data. Have you tried restarting your Mac? A restart can help to refresh the OS and connections. You can also try updating your Mac in safe mode. Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS.

Check out the following support articles: 

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Back up your Mac

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. That behavior is expected.

Cheers!

My Big Sur 11.1 Update Stalling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.