You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie clips

I have dozens of home movies with random events recorded at different times that I want to sort into chronological order using events. My problem is I'm not able to drag parts of the movies between events because the clips I create in timeline don't show up in the browser. I am definitely splitting it into clips in the timeline, but it doesn't affect the clip in the browser at all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 10:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 11:36 PM

Hi,

I see that you posted earlier on this topic. Sorry that no one got back to you.

You are correct that edits in the time line do not carry over to the browser or to events. The full clip always remains.

Instead, you can create multiple projects to hold your groups of clips. You can name the projects by year. You can move or copy the clips between projects and the edits will carry over. You would select the clip and use Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste.

If you want to store the edited clips in events with the edits preserved, you need to share out the clip so as to merge all the edits. Then you import the shared out clip back into iMovie as an edited clip that can be put into the browser and events with the edits intact.

— Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2020 11:36 PM in response to wayshigher

Hi,

I see that you posted earlier on this topic. Sorry that no one got back to you.

You are correct that edits in the time line do not carry over to the browser or to events. The full clip always remains.

Instead, you can create multiple projects to hold your groups of clips. You can name the projects by year. You can move or copy the clips between projects and the edits will carry over. You would select the clip and use Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste.

If you want to store the edited clips in events with the edits preserved, you need to share out the clip so as to merge all the edits. Then you import the shared out clip back into iMovie as an edited clip that can be put into the browser and events with the edits intact.

— Rich

iMovie clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.