You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost saved excel file changes on MacAir

Did about 12 cumulative hrs of spreadsheet updating recently (a quarterly event, so lots of data, time, energy). Of note, I save my files reflexively every couple minutes and it said "saved to your Mac." Word and Excel were both acting glitchy (eg keyboard commands weren't working); I was getting the "restart for updates" messages but didn't have time/ability to allow (hindsight: huge mistake). Now, a few days later, I've since updated the Microsoft app and I now open my spreadsheets to find ALL the data I inputted not there. Budgets, banking, projections, project details - all gone. :-(

Searched help in excel, showed me how to find unseen auto recover documents (go>go to folder> input below link with your user name) and I get 'things' of the day I did the last huge data entry, some even listed under Excel, but none of them are excel files or anything useful to a non-programmer like me.

Hoping I'll eternally love someone for saving me all those hours recreating the data (and now having to cross reference it with since added data...sigh)...

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 5:22 PM

Hi danika333,

We understand that you spent a great deal of time and energy working on your project, and we'll do all we can to help. So we don't miss any important details, can you let us know if the Mac had any external devices connected such as a USB drive or external hard drive? Is it possible that the Mac may have saved them to that location instead? Also, which version of Microsoft Office are you using? Although the prompt was saying the file was saved to the Mac, is your Microsoft Office account signed in to a cloud service? This will help us isolate the problems a little more.

Another option would be to search Finder for ".xls" to see if the file may have moved.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Please let us know what you find! We're here for you.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2021 5:22 PM in response to danika333

Hi danika333,

We understand that you spent a great deal of time and energy working on your project, and we'll do all we can to help. So we don't miss any important details, can you let us know if the Mac had any external devices connected such as a USB drive or external hard drive? Is it possible that the Mac may have saved them to that location instead? Also, which version of Microsoft Office are you using? Although the prompt was saying the file was saved to the Mac, is your Microsoft Office account signed in to a cloud service? This will help us isolate the problems a little more.

Another option would be to search Finder for ".xls" to see if the file may have moved.

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Please let us know what you find! We're here for you.

lost saved excel file changes on MacAir

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.