You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enchanced Dictation missing on Big Sur

HI. I've just upgraded to a new MacBook running Big Sur and find that the Enchanced Dictation button is missing (under Preferences/Keyboard). Anyone know how to turn this back on and get more than 30 seconds dictation time?

It's such a pity that my old copy of Dragon no longer works on Big Sur/M1 Mac, so I'm really hoping Apple hasn't left us sight-challenged users in the dark!

All help very much appreciated!

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 10:15 AM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2021 1:32 PM in response to baldoyler

Nuance abandoned the Mac platform for WIndows, so no third-party dictation for Mac solution comes to mind.

In Catalina, Apple woud use Siri language smarts on the Mac for English speakers as an improvement over Enhanced Dictation, and for non-English speakers, it would use the provided Enhanced Dictation. Apple is constantly changing things, so what existed on Catalina is probably out with the bath water now.

Feb 7, 2021 2:45 PM in response to baldoyler

Allow me, a few weeks later, to answer my own question because the answers here are somewhat incomplete or misleading.

Actually, while Enchanced Dictation has indeed been removed from Big Sur (and Dragon Dictate doesn't appear to work on the combination of Big Sur and M1 Mac), the new Voice Control feature (found under Accessibility) is excellent, much more accurate than Apple's previous attempts, not limited to x number of words or seconds, and in most ways a very useful alternative method for those of us who like to dictate to our Macs. It's possible to add Accessibility to both the Menu Bar and the new Control panel, but it would be nice to be able to have the specific button for Voice Control without all the rest. And I'm sure users who have to manage with other ability challenges would equally appreciate the ability of being able to choose from and simplify from the list of options.

But this is a small gripe. Voice Control is excellent, comes free with the OS and looks like Apple have finally put some work into a feature that has been bubbling under for, well, decades now. Play around with it. It's worth the time and effort.

Enchanced Dictation missing on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.