You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the M1 Better Than Intel Chip?

Is the M1 chip better than buying a 2019 MacBook Pro with the Intel?

An Apple reseller trying to sell me a 2019 instead of the latest in 2020 with the M1 - says Intel is better.

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 3:46 PM

There have been some reports of issues in this forum but they have been fairly low in number; certainly not more than a new release of any Apple product -- which is surprising to me because I view the new chip as a huge change. Most of the reports I remember have to do with some issues in attaching external monitors and I haven't paid much attention to the posts as that isn't something I do.

I bought a new Intel 2020 MacBook Pro in June because I new this change was coming and I thought that there was a possibility that the new chip would be the only choice available at the end of the year and I thought that might have problems due to it being the first generation. I'm completely happy with my Intel MacBook Pro but if I had to buy a new MacBook Pro today I would go with the M1.

The following has side by side comparison of one of the M1 models and two of the Intel models (you can select others): https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBookPro-13-M1,MacBookPro-13_2,MacBookPro-13_4

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2021 3:46 PM in response to WarEagle4

There have been some reports of issues in this forum but they have been fairly low in number; certainly not more than a new release of any Apple product -- which is surprising to me because I view the new chip as a huge change. Most of the reports I remember have to do with some issues in attaching external monitors and I haven't paid much attention to the posts as that isn't something I do.

I bought a new Intel 2020 MacBook Pro in June because I new this change was coming and I thought that there was a possibility that the new chip would be the only choice available at the end of the year and I thought that might have problems due to it being the first generation. I'm completely happy with my Intel MacBook Pro but if I had to buy a new MacBook Pro today I would go with the M1.

The following has side by side comparison of one of the M1 models and two of the Intel models (you can select others): https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBookPro-13-M1,MacBookPro-13_2,MacBookPro-13_4

Jan 10, 2021 4:35 PM in response to WarEagle4

Vastly more problems with Big Sur MacOS than with the Apple-Silicon M1chip.

Most of the "issues" about connecting displays are that it only supports ONE external display, but that one can be as large as the Apple 6K display. Readers did not notice that in the specs, so they get surprised.

Also, does not yet support installing Windows.

Jan 10, 2021 4:49 PM in response to WarEagle4

WarEagle4 wrote:

Is the M1 chip better than buying a 2019 MacBook Pro with the Intel?

Depends on what you need to do on the computer. Determine your computer needs then buy the one that best meets those needs. For example, if you need to run a Virtual Machine, get the Intel computer. If you need to run Windows get the Intel computer. We do not know your needs.

Jan 10, 2021 5:13 PM in response to WarEagle4

WarEagle4 wrote:

Thank you. I did.

Just wondering if any readers have used it with the new OS-11.

To be clear, the M1 is better than any Intel chip. Intel will not be able to catch up.

The shop owner says there have been a lotta problems with new rollouts with new chips.

In one sense, that is a correct statement. There are lots of people who have purchased the new computers and immediately tried to run all manner of crazy, open-source apps or apps from 2003. There is no way to deny this is a 1.0 platform. There are going to be some growing pains. For normal people who run normal apps doing normal things, the M1 is better than anything that has come before.

(Perhaps just trying to sell me a used computer he has in stock)

Never buy a used Mac. If you have any doubts, buy directly from Apple instead. Apple is still selling Intel machines. For people who really need zero downtime and simply need a replacement/additional computer and don't want to deal with any hiccups, the Intel machines will be fine.

Is the M1 Better Than Intel Chip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.