You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to point Photos to folder instead of importing them?

Hi, I know this question has been asked in the past, but some of those answers are very old and don't account for OS and software upgrades. Additionally, I have another question to tack on at the end, keep reading.

Like many ppl, I like to organize my photos and back them up on an external hard drive. I would like to be able to browse and edit them using the Photos app though. I'm on Big Sur.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to point the Photos app to a folder on an external drive (not a NAS) to load (but not import/duplicate) photos in the Photos app (I wish Apple would stop naming their apps such generic names -- it sounds silly)? If there is a way to do this will, will I have to do this every time I connect the HD?
  2. If there is a way to do this, if I add new pictures to the folder, will they automatically appear in Photos, or will I have to go through the rigamarole of deleting the pointer, and re-adding the folder in the settings?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 11:18 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 12, 2021 11:43 AM in response to meemster

1. Yes. But don't. I mean, really, really, don't.
  2. Not automatically, but you can do things with folder action scripts and so on.

More detail: what you're talking about here is a Referenced Library. In this scenario Photos doesn't copy the files into it's own library package but just references them in their current location. To achieve this all you need to do is go to Photos -> Preferences and uncheck the box at 'Copy Items to the Photos Library'

So far so good, and as long as nothing ever changes - that is, you never move the files, never rename a folder, never migrate the files to a bigger disk you may have no problems. But Photos really does not have any tools to manage this scenario. And especially when the files are on a different disk then should the path to the files change you can find yourself reattaching all the files to Photos... one by one

Also, importing and deleting become multiple steps. If you decide to delete a photo then you first delete it in the Photos window and then go get it from your folder tree and delete it there - and not the other way round. Similarly, importing means you first place the images where you want them and then import them.

There is zero advantage and multiple disadvantages to running Photos in referenced mode. You can, put your Library on the external, if you're worried about space, or if you really have a jones to use a referenced library I would strongly urge you to use an app that has tools to manage this set up. Photos isn't it.

Photos does not monitor folders but you can attach scripts or automator workflows to folders and you can use there to trigger an import to Photos.

Léonie has written a very good user tip on the issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

Jan 12, 2021 3:32 PM in response to meemster

You wouldn't have to remove the referenced library. The additions would simply be added to it. Move a folder of Photos to your place on the folder tree and then import them. They're an addition.

In general, I don't plan on moving the folder at all, or deleting any of its contents

The word that jumps out at me there is *plan*. If everything goes according to plan you'll have no issues. the grief is when something not in the plan occurs...

Jan 12, 2021 11:36 AM in response to meemster

Yes and no.

You can import photos to Photos without copying them into the Photos Library. Photos will reference the files in their original location. But you cannot simply point to a folder and all photos in this folder will automatically appear in Photos and dropping additional photos into this folder will not automatically update the photos in Photos.

Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

It has been this way since Photos has first been released with MacOS 10.10.3 Yosemite and has not changed since then. There are only additional new bugs, but no improved features with respect to referenced files. I think Apple is testing the referenced libraries so step motherly, because this method of importing is not compatible with iCloud Photos.

Jan 12, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Yer_Man

This is extremely helpful. In general, I don't plan on moving the folder at all, or deleting any of its contents (I prune the photos on my phone before I dump them in the folder), but I think the deal breaker is the fact that it wouldn't automatically add new photos that I dump into the folder.

To clarify, if I did decide to move forward with this approach, when I add new photos to the folder, is there a one-click way to be like "Ok Photos, go get the new pics!" or would I have to completely remove the referenced library and re-add it?

Is there a way to point Photos to folder instead of importing them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.