You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro using Lightning USB 3 adaptor

Hi, I use an Apple iMac and a well-intentioned, well-off relative has given me an iPad 11-inch 2nd generation for Christmas. If I get an Apple Lightning USB 3 adaptor and use Quick Office or Pages will I be able to charge and simultaneously do one of the following:

1. Zoom or similar with remote people using the built-in camera, built-in mikes and speaker

2. Attach a USB external keyboard or mouse (can I connect both at once?)

3. Attach instead an external HD

4. Upload remote files, mainly.doc and .docx, also pictures, sounds etc

5. Create or edit and save files to iPad as .doc and .docx files (formatting not an issue)

6. Transfer files between the iPad and the external HD

7. Connect to and use a USB printer/scanner

8. Access my video VLC files on the external HD and play them

Instead of attaching devices one at a time to the adaptor USB input, can I attach a USB hub so that I can do several of these things at the same time –eg use an external keyboard and mouse to access and edit files on the external HD and also print them. And could I  use the iPad with Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and printer etc. If I can do all this, it will save me buying a new Mac laptop for travelling.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 7:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 7:48 AM

1) Yes - using the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter has no impact upon video conferencing Apps - that will always use the iPad Camera and Microphone.

2) Yes, you can use wired keyboard and mouse. If you need to use both together, you’ll also likely need a USB hub. Be aware, however, that mouse support only extends to basic three-button and scroll-wheel capabilities. More complex mice, requiring installation of driver software, are not fully usable. Other that Installation of Apps that incorporate explicit device support, device driver software cannot be independently installed on iOS/iPadOS devices.

3) Yes - if the HDD has a single data partition and is formatted to FAT32, exFAT or APFS. Other proprietary formats are not supported. Also be aware that the HDD exceeds the capabilities of iPad to directly power an HDD. An HDD must either be self-powered, or you can provide power via a powered USB Hub; connecting your iPad Power Adapter to the pass-through port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter may provide be sufficient.

4) Yes.

5) Yes - but creating these file types will require installation of the corresponding Microsoft Word and Excel Apps on your iPad.

6) Yes - subject to meeting requirements of (3) above.

7) No - iPadOS does not support a directly connected Printer (built-in printer support uses AirPrint), or external scanners. Directly connected Printers and Scanners require installation of device drivers. See (2) above.

8) Yes - however, the video content will first need to be copied onto the iPad from external storage.

There you have it - eight separate answers for the price of one...

Given your expectation to interconnect these devices at the same time, you might be best advised to use a Mac laptop - which will offer considerably greater flexibility for your needs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2021 7:48 AM in response to cantata_uk

1) Yes - using the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter has no impact upon video conferencing Apps - that will always use the iPad Camera and Microphone.

2) Yes, you can use wired keyboard and mouse. If you need to use both together, you’ll also likely need a USB hub. Be aware, however, that mouse support only extends to basic three-button and scroll-wheel capabilities. More complex mice, requiring installation of driver software, are not fully usable. Other that Installation of Apps that incorporate explicit device support, device driver software cannot be independently installed on iOS/iPadOS devices.

3) Yes - if the HDD has a single data partition and is formatted to FAT32, exFAT or APFS. Other proprietary formats are not supported. Also be aware that the HDD exceeds the capabilities of iPad to directly power an HDD. An HDD must either be self-powered, or you can provide power via a powered USB Hub; connecting your iPad Power Adapter to the pass-through port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter may provide be sufficient.

4) Yes.

5) Yes - but creating these file types will require installation of the corresponding Microsoft Word and Excel Apps on your iPad.

6) Yes - subject to meeting requirements of (3) above.

7) No - iPadOS does not support a directly connected Printer (built-in printer support uses AirPrint), or external scanners. Directly connected Printers and Scanners require installation of device drivers. See (2) above.

8) Yes - however, the video content will first need to be copied onto the iPad from external storage.

There you have it - eight separate answers for the price of one...

Given your expectation to interconnect these devices at the same time, you might be best advised to use a Mac laptop - which will offer considerably greater flexibility for your needs.

iPad Pro using Lightning USB 3 adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.