You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old peripherals and new Mini

I have replaced my old Mini (2012, model A1347) with a new M1 Mini.   I would like advice on how best to connect my old peripherals.

What I have are:

• USB laser printer,
    • USB external hard drive,
    • USB keyboard, 
    • USB scanner,
    • HDMI monitor,
    • VGA monitor, and 
    • occasionally USB-iPhone.

The first monitor is easy; it plugs straight into the HDMI ports of both old and new Minis.

From my choices get complex.

I suppose I could use a wireless connection to the laser printer.   I have done it before but found the wired connection more reliable.

The external hard drive is the back up.  With a new Mini, back up should not be important for many, many years.   (Fingers crossed.)

I want to keep the USB keyboard and scanner.

I had the VGA monitor plugged in to the old Mini with a Thunderbolt-VGA adapter.   But that was a previous version of Thunderbolt.  

What I have on the back of the M1 Mini are two USB-A ports and two Thunderbolt-USB 4 ports.  The question is how to allocate them to my old peripherals.

I expect to use some combination of adapters and dongles.  

Is there an adapter for Thunderbolt-USB 4 to VGA?  Is so that would take care of the secondary monitor.

Is there a similar adapter from Thunderbolt-USB 4 to USB-A?   If so, would any of my old peripherals do better plugged into this port compared to a USB-A port?

That would leave three USB peripherals to divide between the two USB-A ports on the M1 mini.   I have read that a dongle could be used for this purpose.  I think I had a dongle thirty years ago.  Is there anything to be concerned about in using a dongle now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 3:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 8:36 AM

Just connect USB to USB or use a USB-A to USB-C adapters. If you run out of room you will need a dock. There are docks that have USB, C and HDMI plugs. You just need to decide what you want connected.

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 18, 2021 11:23 AM in response to R_55a

A "dongle" is a single device adapter.

A "dock" refers to hub-like devices with an assortment of different connections that can be used simultaneously, including some form of display output. They get their name because their primary use is as a single-cable laptop 'docking' connections to a mouse/keyboard/display/ethernet desktop workstation setup.

However the laptop dock I got for my Intel mini was designed for pass-through charging and doesn't work right on only bus power. I'd suggest you instead get a basic USB-C to USB 3 hub for your peripherals and a USB-C to VGA cable for the second monitor.

Apr 18, 2021 1:20 PM in response to R_55a

R_55a wrote:
The external hard drive is the back up.  With a new Mini, back up should not be important for many, many years.   (Fingers crossed.)....

Not having a backup is an accident waiting to happen regardless

of computer age as anything can happen to require the need to

restore a system or even just files.

Trusting your digital assets to just one device is a major no-no.

Apr 19, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Ronasara

This is all new to me. I appreciate your assistance.

In my first scan of the Web, I see many different USB hubs. Some are powered by the host computer through the USB connection. I read concerns about whether that would be enough power when the computer is a laptop. But I have a Mini, and I would expect it to be able to sustain power indefinitely through USB.

With a Mini, do I need a USB hub with its own external power supply?

Old peripherals and new Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.