You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using Apple Watch for call when not near iPhone

I was under the impression that even if I left my iPhone at home, for example, my new Apple Watch should still be able to make calls and receive texts since it has it's own line. is that not true? I have recently been separated from my phone and not been able to call or text on my watch. is it a setting problem perhaps?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 1:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 1:56 PM

GPS

Apple Watch (GPS only) lets you send and receive text messages, answer phone calls and receive notifications when it’s connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The built-in GPS works independently of your iPhone for distance, pace and route mapping in workouts.

GPS + Cellular

Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) has all the same features, as well as built-in cellular. It gives you the freedom to send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, receive notifications, and stream Apple Music and Apple Podcasts — even when you don’t have your iPhone with you.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2021 1:56 PM in response to zazu_servant

GPS

Apple Watch (GPS only) lets you send and receive text messages, answer phone calls and receive notifications when it’s connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The built-in GPS works independently of your iPhone for distance, pace and route mapping in workouts.

GPS + Cellular

Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) has all the same features, as well as built-in cellular. It gives you the freedom to send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, receive notifications, and stream Apple Music and Apple Podcasts — even when you don’t have your iPhone with you.

using Apple Watch for call when not near iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.