You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook photos app editing tools greyed out

I want to edit a video but the editing tools on my photos app in macbook (adjust, filters, crop) is all greyed out. But it works when I edit photos. It's greyed out with videos.

what's the problem and how can I solve this?? if anyone knows please help me

i'm running on macOS Catalina, idk if it's got anything to do with that.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 5:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 1:02 PM

Tony is correct. The editing tools for videos are only available after the upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur. Recently new editing features for Photos are first released for the iPhone and iPad, before they are available on a Mac. we are still waiting for the perspective correction tools to come to Photos for Mac.

Upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur, if you want to crop a video or use the other editing tools or filters on a video clip.

See: How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

You will no longer be able to save a still frame from a video however, without having to revert to an external editor.

After you install the upgrade to macOS 11.1 Big Sur, the adjustments pane will look like this for your videos:

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2021 1:02 PM in response to huwaida2304

Tony is correct. The editing tools for videos are only available after the upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur. Recently new editing features for Photos are first released for the iPhone and iPad, before they are available on a Mac. we are still waiting for the perspective correction tools to come to Photos for Mac.

Upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur, if you want to crop a video or use the other editing tools or filters on a video clip.

See: How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

You will no longer be able to save a still frame from a video however, without having to revert to an external editor.

After you install the upgrade to macOS 11.1 Big Sur, the adjustments pane will look like this for your videos:

Jan 20, 2021 4:48 PM in response to huwaida2304

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, huwaida2304!

We understand you're unable to edit videos within the Photos app on your MacBook. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Are you able to access those settings while booted into safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If not, would you please tell us which device you used to record these videos?

We look forward to troubleshooting further with you.

Have a great day!

Jan 27, 2021 9:45 AM in response to huwaida2304

Safe Mode is perfectly safe. It just does the following and is a first line fix for many issues:

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Boot into Safe Mode, check to see if the problem persists and then reboot normally.

macbook photos app editing tools greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.