You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb to hdmi adaptor

Will an adaptor like the below work to add a TV to MacBook through USB. Already using USB-C for thunderbolt monitor. Trying to add a third screen. Appreciate any input! The USB to HDMI cable I purchased doesn't work. I'm wondering if the adaptor will?

Thanks for the feedback!

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Lemorele-Support-Compatible-Windows/dp/B08CWRDMNM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=usb+to+hdmi+adapter+for+mac&qid=1611336431&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A26WR75BG4IR15&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTTRUOTNSN0lEWFBNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTc5NTk1MjhXQVNMSkpSRDBJVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ3MzQ3MlRRRFdDQkIzVUJDRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 10:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 11:24 AM

That Mac supports:

Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 3840x2160 (4K)*

Details:* Although Apple originally only reported that this model could support a single external display up to 2560x1600, third-parties discovered that it actually could support a 3840x2160 (4K) display, and Apple subsequently revised their official documentation to confirm this, as well.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html

Your computer supports ONE additional hardware-accelerated external display. That really suggest that if you want to support more displays, you may need more computer.

There are ways to support more external displays using more complex and expensive Docks and DisplayLink software, but they will not be hardware accelerated, and not suitable for full motion Video, gaming, and possibly not for mouse-tracking on that display.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2021 11:24 AM in response to BHaller73

That Mac supports:

Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 3840x2160 (4K)*

Details:* Although Apple originally only reported that this model could support a single external display up to 2560x1600, third-parties discovered that it actually could support a 3840x2160 (4K) display, and Apple subsequently revised their official documentation to confirm this, as well.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html

Your computer supports ONE additional hardware-accelerated external display. That really suggest that if you want to support more displays, you may need more computer.

There are ways to support more external displays using more complex and expensive Docks and DisplayLink software, but they will not be hardware accelerated, and not suitable for full motion Video, gaming, and possibly not for mouse-tracking on that display.

Jan 22, 2021 10:17 AM in response to BHaller73

This support article may be of use to you:

Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

"Check how many displays your Mac supports: Choose Apple () menu > About This Mac > Support, then click Specifications. On the web page that appears, the number of displays your Mac supports appears under Video Support."

Also, do you really mean a MacBook, or do you mean a MacBook Pro? if so, which year?

By the way: "If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

Jan 22, 2021 4:21 PM in response to BHaller73

Thank you gents for your help. Grant, with what you said I purchased the J5 Create USB to HDMI #JUA254. FYI- Mac users must install software/ driver before plugging into USB port or it will ruin the device.

Now I realize the TV graphics are crap as a monitor... haha

So Youtube has its own TV until I get another one...

Appreciate the help!

usb to hdmi adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.