You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade iPhoto '09 (v8.1.2), I am running OS X Mavericks, to migrate my library to Photos for OS X if running OS X El Capitan?

How do I upgrade iPhoto '09 (v8.1.2), I am running OS X Mavericks, to migrate my library to Photos for OS X if running OS X El Capitan?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 1:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 2:17 AM

It is no longer possible to get an iPhoto Version, that will run on El Capitan. It is too late now. Even if you manage to find an old iLife '11 CD at Amazon or eBay; it will not possible to update this iPhoto'11 to iPhoto 9.6.1, the only iPhoto version that is compatible with El Capitan. This update has only been distributed by the App Store and is no longer available, unless you have previously purchased it from the AppStore.

But the Photos.app on El Capitan will be able to migrate an iPhoto '09 (v8.1.2) library to Photos and create a Photos Library from it. Just make sure, the iPhoto Library is in a ship-shape condition, before you upgrade to El Capitan and can no longer run iPhoto. You may want to create a backup copy of your iPhoto Libraries, then run the iPhoto Library first Aid tools on the library to repair the permissions and the thumbnails, rebuild the library.

Photos will create a new Photos Library from your iPhoto Library, when you first launch it. The new library will be created in the same folder as the iPhoto Library. It is important, that your iPhoto Library is on a volume, that is compatible with Photos. The Pictures folder would be the best place, if have enough storage on your System volume.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2021 2:17 AM in response to Iron_Mogs

It is no longer possible to get an iPhoto Version, that will run on El Capitan. It is too late now. Even if you manage to find an old iLife '11 CD at Amazon or eBay; it will not possible to update this iPhoto'11 to iPhoto 9.6.1, the only iPhoto version that is compatible with El Capitan. This update has only been distributed by the App Store and is no longer available, unless you have previously purchased it from the AppStore.

But the Photos.app on El Capitan will be able to migrate an iPhoto '09 (v8.1.2) library to Photos and create a Photos Library from it. Just make sure, the iPhoto Library is in a ship-shape condition, before you upgrade to El Capitan and can no longer run iPhoto. You may want to create a backup copy of your iPhoto Libraries, then run the iPhoto Library first Aid tools on the library to repair the permissions and the thumbnails, rebuild the library.

Photos will create a new Photos Library from your iPhoto Library, when you first launch it. The new library will be created in the same folder as the iPhoto Library. It is important, that your iPhoto Library is on a volume, that is compatible with Photos. The Pictures folder would be the best place, if have enough storage on your System volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.