You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"unable to download app" big sur notification

Lately, I've been getting mac app store notification reading:

UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD APP. "xxxxxxx" could not be installed. Please try again later.

The curious thing is, every time this pops up is for an iOS/iPadOS app that I've downloaded on a different device and therefore doesn't exist in the Mac App Store.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 1:19 AM

7 replies

Feb 5, 2021 4:38 PM in response to Greg.edwards69

This confirms exactly what I am seeing. For me, the app is the Steelseries Nimbus Companion App.

This started last month and the notification would return every time the Mac was unlocked (i.e. many, many time a day). After a week, a second notification join it. Exactly the same except for the date/time shown. This eventually stopped (no idea why) but has come back today. I expect to see a second one join it next week.

One thing I have not tried yet is rebooting my Mac. There is an update to install, so I will try that now. It may delay the problem reappearing for a few days.

(As an aside, as it may be related, I have downloaded an Arcade app from the store and after the download completed, the Get button returned, not a Play button. The app will not launch.)

Feb 5, 2021 7:32 PM in response to Greg.edwards69

I have been getting this as well. My guess is that it's related to the ability of M1 macs to run iOS apps and App Store preferences.

I am running Big Sur on an Intel Macbook which does not support iOS apps

When I have the option App Store > Preferences > "Automatically download apps purchased on other devices" enabled and I purchase a new iOS app via the App Store on my phone, I get a few notifications on MacOS for a few different iOS apps stating they can't be downloaded. These are not necessarily for the app I've just purchased on iOS, I think any purchase simply triggers them again. I assume they are apps that have opted in to support being run on M1 macs.

When I have the option App Store > Preferences > "Automatically download apps purchased on other devices" disabled and I purchase a new app via iOS, I do not get notifications in MacOS.

Re-enabling this option, and purchasing a new app, I get the notifications again.

I imagine it's a bug that will be fixed at some point. In the meantime, the work around seems to be to disable that option (that's what I've done).

Note: I'm currently running MacOS 11.1, but looked through the 11.2 changelog and don't see mention of this particular issue so I suspect it's still present and Gary Makin's comment above I assume is related to updating to 11.2.

Feb 5, 2021 8:49 PM in response to psukhedelos

If I was going to suggest a reason for the problem, it would be exactly what you have described.

Unfortunately, turning off the option only impacts apps purchased afterwards. The existing notification continues to return, even after a reboot.

It is sad that such simple bugs are escaping into the wild. This should have been caught and fixed in beta testing.

Yes, I am on 11.2 now.

Feb 10, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Greg.edwards69

I have found something that makes as a difference.

I have been dismissing the notification with a swipe to the right. But, when I used the close button that appears over the top left corner, the notification does not come back when the screen is unlocked.

From its past behaviour, I expect the notification will eventually return but perhaps once a week, not many times a day.

"unable to download app" big sur notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.