You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Machine (Catalina) Backup Drive for Big Sur

I have recently bought Mac Mini with Big Sur and everything went very well in setting it up. Because my previous IMAC (2013) had undiagnosed failure it could not be used for Migration Assistant or Target Disk. So I used the Catalina Time Machine back ups held on a Western Digital 2 TB HDD. It installed well and as far as I can see everything required is all available and working correctly. So now I want to start using that HDD with the Mac Mini Big Sur. My preference would be to just start to have TM backups going to the HDD whilst retaining the existing Catalina back ups. I tend to be cautious.

Is this feasible or should I totally reformat the HDD for Big Sur back ups to TM?

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 3:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 3:50 AM

It's not clear from your description but it sounds like you used Migration Assistant with your Time Machine backup to restore your computer's data to your new Mac.

The first time you mount your existing Time Machine backup disc on your new Mac you should be asked if you want the new computer to inherit the backups. If you accept you can continue with the backups as they exist. Apple describes this in the document If your new Mac inherits your backup history.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2021 3:50 AM in response to clive241

It's not clear from your description but it sounds like you used Migration Assistant with your Time Machine backup to restore your computer's data to your new Mac.

The first time you mount your existing Time Machine backup disc on your new Mac you should be asked if you want the new computer to inherit the backups. If you accept you can continue with the backups as they exist. Apple describes this in the document If your new Mac inherits your backup history.

Using Time Machine (Catalina) Backup Drive for Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.