You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn’t landscape orientation supported on many iPad apps?

I have a 12.9” iPad Pro I use as a PC replacement. 99% of the time it’s locked in landscape orientation, connected to my bluetooth keyboard.

I understand there’s quite a few apps that don’t have a separate iPad interface, and they show up as an iPhone-sized display, with the option to stretch to fit the bigger screen, but only in portrait orientation. For these apps, why isn’t there a way to show that small display in landscape mode? Is this something that will be added in the future? Right next to the icon that stretches the iPhone app, there should be a rotate option to stretch in landscape mode. DoorDash, Postmates, Credit Karma, Instagram, Tik Tok, are all examples of the behavior I’m describing, so I just don’t use them at all on the iPad.

Basically to use my bluetooth keyboard (Logitech) on these apps, I have to type/view at a 90” angle from the app, or use the desktop safari site instead of the app if there is one. It seems like a major oversight to me and I’m looking for clarification on if I should expect this to continue or if it’s in the works, where I can submit this feedback, etc.

Thank you!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 11:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 11:08 AM

Not all Apps are coded to operate in both Portrait and Landscape screen orientation. If the App does not support one or other screen orientation, there is nothing that you can do to work around this limitation. iPadOS cannot over-ride App coding.

You might consider contacting the App Developer - requesting that the App be updated:

How to contact an app developer – Apple Support

When using many models of iPad, with an attached keyboard, the use Portrait screen orientation is simply impossible. Some App developers appear to be oblivious to this fact. Your only hope is to make clear your expectations to the Developer - or vote with your wallet and use a different App.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2021 11:08 AM in response to cgilman02

Not all Apps are coded to operate in both Portrait and Landscape screen orientation. If the App does not support one or other screen orientation, there is nothing that you can do to work around this limitation. iPadOS cannot over-ride App coding.

You might consider contacting the App Developer - requesting that the App be updated:

How to contact an app developer – Apple Support

When using many models of iPad, with an attached keyboard, the use Portrait screen orientation is simply impossible. Some App developers appear to be oblivious to this fact. Your only hope is to make clear your expectations to the Developer - or vote with your wallet and use a different App.

Why isn’t landscape orientation supported on many iPad apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.