You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac randomly shutting down and will not restart unless unplugged from mains

I have a 2017 27" iMac (3.8GHz Intel Core i5) that randomly turns itself off.

The screen goes blank and the machine is dead. It will not restart unless I unplug it from the mains, leave it for 30seconds or longer and then plug it in again.

The problem started a couple of months ago and does not appear to follow any pattern. Sometimes it will run for several days without shutting down but sometimes it can happen 2 or 3 times an hour.

I have searched the web and there are numerous accounts of a similar problem but no one seems to have come up with a cause or remedy apart from replacing the internals.

Has anyone here had the same issue and managed to resolve it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 12:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 1:13 PM

Unfortunately, I would agree. Everything points to a hardware issue. Possibly a bad power supply.

I do not know what country/region you live in, but you can keep up to date on your Apple Store or AASP status here: Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. (You may need to change your country on the site.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2021 1:13 PM in response to Jolly Boy A

Unfortunately, I would agree. Everything points to a hardware issue. Possibly a bad power supply.

I do not know what country/region you live in, but you can keep up to date on your Apple Store or AASP status here: Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. (You may need to change your country on the site.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 1, 2021 8:33 PM in response to Jolly Boy A

Hi Jolly Boy A,

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for "EtreCheck."
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app; as it is on the Mac App Store, and only trusted apps can be submitted.
  3. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

I think that you should also run Apple Diagnostics -  Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Please post results of both!

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 7, 2021 6:48 AM in response to Jolly Boy A

After a couple of calls with Apple Tech support, running all the diagnostic checks and disk utility I was advised to completely wipe my iMac and do a fresh install of the OS. Did that yesterday and for a few hours all seemed good. However, the fault has reappeared and my iMac has crashed 3 times today.

I haven't re-installed any files or programs so that discounts the problem being software related.

If it is a hardware issue, and all the evidence now points to that, I am stuffed as current lock down restrictions make a store visit impossible and I am left with an £1,800 desk top ornament!

Anyone got any advice or pointers that may help me, please?

iMac randomly shutting down and will not restart unless unplugged from mains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.