You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Third party Antivirus / Security Software?

Hi All,

Currently I have McAfee installed on my 2020 iMac 27” and only installed it as I still have an active subscription from my previous windows pc.

However after installing Big Sur, I have found certain things in McAfee are not useable (like firewall) and so it’s got me thinking if I really need to have it installed? Iv always thought large antivirus software like that can be bulky on any system (windows or Mac), but after reading macs are suppose to have no need for external software thanks to its internal security system, yeah I just wondered how true this was? Or if there is a mother small software people use, iv also read things about Malwarebytes?

So yeah just interested to hear of your thoughts.

Many Thanks :)

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 5:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 7:54 AM

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for McAfee and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2021 7:54 AM in response to JoeB94

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for McAfee and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

Third party Antivirus / Security Software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.