You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac OS not printing after upgrading first to Catalina and now to Big Sur 11.01 or 11.02

My Mac OS not printing after upgrading first to Catalina and now to Big Sur 11.01 or 11.02

How to resolve this problem.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 10:02 AM

Technically, it's not your Os that is not printing. It is the printer driver that is no longer compatible. Check the support web site of your printer manufacturer and download a compatible driver. Whenever an OS is updated or upgraded, some printers will stop printing and the download must be done to fix the problem. Please keep that in mind for future reference.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2021 10:02 AM in response to mathewsta201

Technically, it's not your Os that is not printing. It is the printer driver that is no longer compatible. Check the support web site of your printer manufacturer and download a compatible driver. Whenever an OS is updated or upgraded, some printers will stop printing and the download must be done to fix the problem. Please keep that in mind for future reference.

Feb 16, 2021 12:20 PM in response to mathewsta201

You are not the only one! My Samsung Color Laser went dumb after Catalina Upgrade also. Loaded Big Sur last night and Best Buy doesn't have a printer that will run on my MAC OS. SOO NOT COOL!!! I bought a PC so I can print today. It'll cost me lots to be down and not able to print. Pretty crazy to do work on the MAC... send files over to the PC to print. Mike from Wisconsin

Feb 16, 2021 1:26 PM in response to MadisonH2O

Yes I can. My wife has a year old iMac 27 inch. It is connected to a Canon MP560 color printer. It works with Big Sur v.11.2.1 and has worked with Catalina. Unfortunately, the printer is not new, so I don't know if it has been replaced with something else. When I updated the OS to the .1 version it stopped printing, so I merely went into the System Preferences file, then reselected it under Printers & Scanners. Problem solved. If your printer manufacturer doesn't have a driver for Big Sur, then try one for Catalina. Sometimes they will work. You have to try to find out. What has your printer's people told you? (You never said what printer you have.) Is a driver expected to be released ? If so, then when? Does it have the Air Print feature? If so, that will work and no drivers are needed. If not, then you can click on the link below where volunteers have written drivers for many older printers that are no longer supported. There may be one there that works. Last, if you can take the time to read various complaints on this forum about this same issue (which has been addressed hundreds of times) there are many suggestions for changing settings, etc. I would check it out. Here is the link:

Gutenprint Supported Printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.